samedi 1 novembre 2014

The Coffin Birth interview

If you've read the review of their new release called Necrotic liquefaction that i posted (HERE on Blasting days)  or if you read some other grind related blogs you know that Coffin Birth is a recent Australian band and that Necrotic Liquefaction is a killer grind release, one of the most exiting this year.
So I'm really pleased to post below their answers to the questions I sent them for an email interview (Thank you Josh, Isaac and Alex!) :

-can you go back to the origin of the band and tell us how it happened? What was the project at the start, and how have you evolved since the beginning of the band?

Josh- Isaac and I had known each other for a while before the band through local shows in Brisbane. Isaac knew I'd been wanting to get a grindcore band going and asked if I wanted to get something happening with his mate Alex on drums, who he said could handle the stuff we wanted to play. We jammed a bunch of songs, some of which were actually written for a previous band of mine that had just broken up and then recorded a demo. We hadn't come up with a name yet at this point, so we ended up tossing around a few ideas at a jam and went with Coffin Birth.
I'd say the only difference now is that there is more focus and a better idea of how to make the noise we hear in our heads real.

-do you play or have played in other bands?

Josh- I also currently play guitar for Sick People and have previously played in Nazi Dentist and Downpour.
Isaac- Deathkrvsh was a power violence band I sung for, the only proper band before Coffin Birth.

-sounds like you like to incorporate different elements in your music from old school grind to death metal, maybe a bit of crossover thrash, how would you describe your music and especially your new release, Necrotic Liquefaction?

Josh- I do love a lot of UK grind and crust and those bands would be the biggest influence for when I'm writing riffs, US death metal and Japanese hardcore definitely play a big part too. I'd just call us a grindcore band.

-what about the lyrics of the songs?

Isaac- The lyrics are generally depicted through the eyes of a sadistic character or an opinion of mine about the current economy, governments and in particularly the politicians that seem to be content with running our earth and those that inhabit it into a disparaging place to exist.

-how did you get into extreme music? What does grindcore mean to you?

Josh- I started really getting into metal when I was 13 back in '00, pretty obvious stuff like thrash and roadrunner bands, but around that time I was introduced to extreme metal by an Australian music TV programme called Rage. Rage would have late night specials on the weekends which would run from about midnight until the early hours of the morning. One weekend they had a metal special which I taped to VHS and I rewatched it over and over and over. The videos for Cannibal Corpse's Sentenced to Burn and Morbid Angel's Where the Slime Live really blew me away, I'd never seen or heard anything like it before and I was hooked. Grindcore as far as subgenres go has a fairly broad spectrum of sounds and fans, but as are what the stuff I like means to me, it's a big 'get fucked' to everything that I think sucks about music.

-Necrotic liquefaction is for the moment a self-digital-release, do you think that the DIY way of action could be a global alternative or do you see it more as a practical way of growing for an underground band?

Josh- I just think digital music should be free, but we are stoked that people choose to donate money. A lot of bands outside punk and underground music in general could learn a few things from DIY.

-which bands were more influential for you, either for the music or for other things?

Josh- Bands like Metallica and Slayer made me want to pick up a guitar in the first place and taught me the importance of a solid riff. Early 80's hardcore like Black Flag, Minor Threat and Negative Approach introduced me to DIY and punk aesthetics. Bands like Napalm Death, Insect Warfare, Rot, Repulsion, Terrorizer, Discharge, Deathside and Bastard have had more of a direct influence on the sound of Coffin Birth as for as my songwriting goes.

-which bands from your area would you recommend?

Isaac- Black Deity, Shitgrinder, Smoke, Sick People, Idylls, White King, Puke, Ripped Off, Vile Specimen, Shackles (even though those grubs are from NSW), Gruel, Last Chaos, Zodiac, Dreamtime, Hobo Magic and Frown, to name a couple.

-which evolution would you like to see happening in the underground scene?

Josh- I guess I would like to see more girls getting involved in bands, more tolerance and less people on the sidelines complaining about everything yet contributing nothing of their own.

-what is planned for Coffin birth in the coming months? Are you already preparing a next release?

Alex- We’re supporting Sete Star Sept and Full of Hell when they go on their respective tours in November, which will both be killer. Necrotic Liquefaction is going to be seeing a release on Dead Heroes and some songs we recorded over a year ago will finally be coming out as a split 7" with Blightworms  on Lacklustre. We’re always writing new tunes and have a couple other splits in the works.

-something to add?

Isaac- Greatly appreciate the time you've taken to do this, thank you.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire